Under current circumstances, it’s not easy or advised to be popping to the shops every few days. Sure, this means we are having to get a little more creative in the kitchen, but it absolutely does not mean we have to compromise on a pantry stocked with nutrient-dense, staple ingredients.
While we have lost control over many aspects of our lives right now, having these food basics on hand can at least give us control over what we are fuelling ourselves with. It’s important to remember, especially now, that the food we are putting into our bodies can directly improve our mental health and overall wellbeing.
To make things a little easier for you, we have compiled a plant-based shopping list that every healthy pantry should be stocked with to make delicious, easy, and nutritious meals for you and your family. All these ingredients should be easy to find from your local grocery store, health food store, or online on Amazon or Well.ca.
- Rice (a mixture is nice - basmati, brown, wild rice)
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Nutritional yeast
- Dried Fruits (dates, raisins)
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts)
- Nut butters (if you’re a peanut butter fanatic like us, check out Little Tucker Peanut Butter Energy Balls!)
- Seeds (chia, flax, hemp, pumpkin)
- Rolled oats
- Coffee & Tea
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Black beans
- Canned fruit & veg: mushrooms, corn, green beans, pineapple
- Coconut Cream
- Veggie Stock
- Herbs and spices (cumin, paprika, chilli, turmeric, oregano, curry powder)
- Salt & pepper
- Maple syrup or your sweetener of choice
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Tamari (similar to soy sauce)
- Of course, a few of your favourite treats - kiddo and adult versions (adults may we make a sneaky suggestion for a late night Little Tucker Snickaroo Bites and a glass of red!)
- Sweet potatoes
- Plant-based milk (coconut, almond, oat)
- Frozen berries, bananas, mango
- Frozen bread and wraps
With all these pantry essentials, your options will be endless when it comes to preparing delicious curries like dahl, healthy muffins, an assortment of pastas and soups, smoothies, chilli and stews.